Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Dating Myself


Another fun thing about being alone is that I get to date….myself. Which is where the I LOVE ME comes in. It used to really bother me when I'd see people wearing the I LOVE ME t-shirts, hats, key chains, etc. I used to think they were cocky and/or selfish. Now I know it's something that everyone needs to do. One of the ways I'm trying to 'love myself' a little more is to take me out on a nice date once in a while. I’m quite the catch, and I have a pretty good time with me.

Back in January I went on my first date…dessert at the Lancaster Hotel in downtown Houston, and the Houston Symphony’s Salute to the Academy Awards. I had wanted to go to the symphony for a while, and figured why not? It took a lot of guts to do it all on my own. But I had a wonderful time. The dessert and coffee at the Lancaster was delicious (although their key lime pie was a little lacking), and the music was so moving. It reminded me of how much I enjoy music- listening to it, performing (whether it’s singing, playing the French horn or piano, or being a part of a theatrical production), and I enjoyed getting lost in music for an evening.

Since January, I’d try to make a point every few weeks to go eat dinner someplace by myself. Then, last Saturday, I was at my apartment and I really wanted to go see Easy A. So, I stopped by Crave and got a delicious banana cupcake (smuggled it into the theatre with a bottle of water), and went to the movies by myself. Another victory! (There was no one sitting next to me making snarky comments, or saying “Wait, what did she just say?” or making me late so I missed the previews) Just me, my cupcake and two seats to myself.

I was feeling SO adventurous that I decided to up the ante. After all, it was Saturday night. “Date night”. And I couldn’t remember the last time I had a really good steak. So, I got all dressed up and headed to Morton’s (Yup, I wanted a REALLY good steak). I sat at the bar, tasted some wines, made a new friend (Bartender Lisa), and ordered up a petite filet with a side of creamed spinach (Grampa Hook always said you could tell how good a steak house was based on a)whether/not they offered creamed spinach and b)how good it was). I could have stayed for dessert (my all-time favorite crème brulee was on the menu), but I opted for a tall coffee at Starbucks and their free wi-fi. A fabulous Saturday night as far as I’m concerned.

Plus, you never know who you're going to meet when you're out by yourself. I still think that maybe someday I will meet someone special out on one of my date nights. Funny story: one time I met a Banana Republic model while I was sitting at a bar by myself watching the Celtics in the NBA playoffs. I happened to be eating a (small...ish) pizza and offered him a piece. Seemed like the nice thing to do...he politely declined and we struck up a lively conversation. You just never know!

Anyways, back to the real moral of the story: don’t forget to take of yourself…otherwise no one else will.

Oh, and I LOVE ME!


No comments:

Post a Comment